Sunday, September 16, 2012

Road tripping with Story.

Monday morning, Story and I hit the road headed east after dropping Carter and Summer off to school. It wasn't long before Story went right to sleep!  Sweet thing.  
My grandmother has not been doing well.  At all.  In fact, about a month ago, she had a terrible fall, which led to a lengthy hospital stay and two weeks of intense rehab in Savannah.   David and I knew that once she was home and feeling up to it that I would need and want to make a trip.  Sadly, since coming home from rehab, she has fallen several more times, the most recent fall leaving her unable to be left alone or able to do much on her own.  Our family learned last week, that the fall caused two fractures on her pelvis, so sad!  My three uncles have been taking turns staying with Mama at night, and Miss Dooley (a sweet lady, who has been helping our family for years) has been staying with her during the day.  I felt like I just really needed to go and help out.  Thankfully, David is fully supportive, and offered to keep the big 3 at home with him, so Story and I could go to Georgia.  After 9 hours in the car and only one stop, we were ready to be at Mama's!  
We arrived just in time for supper on Monday night.  Story insisted on saying the blessing, and I love this sweet picture of her praying for her food!  So sweet!  She said, "Dear Lord, thank you for our day. Thank you for our day.  Amen." Love. 
On Tuesday, Mama had a doctor's appointment, so we rode with Uncle Kim and Mama to the doctor.  It didn't last long, so we came back home to play!  Story is so my child, lining up her diapers all in a row.  
Wednesday, Mama decided she wanted to get her hair did.  All of us girls know how much that can help a girl when she's down!  Story had the most fun playing in Miss Gail's beauty shop!
Miss Gail cutting Mama's hair.  I was sporting my new Golden Eagle tshirt, and Miss Gail commented on it.  She didn't know that I was living in Hattiesburg now.  She grew up in Mississippi, and loves Hattiesburg.  In fact, her nephew still lives here and manages the TJ Maxx.  What a small world!  We headed home after getting beautified, and I think our little trip to the beauty shop about wore Mama out.  I did not think we were going to get her back to the car!  
Wednesday morning brought another surprise, T!  We were excited to see her pull up in Mama's yard, especially this little lady!  I think she looks right at home in T's lap, ha!
Wednesday afternoon, T had to leave, so it was just the three of us.  After resting for a while, Mama decided a change of scenery would be nice, so we wheeled her into the kitchen, a place she knows so well, but hasn't been able to use much lately.  Story caught a ride with Mama!  
Thursday brought with it more doctor's appointments, so loaded up our bag of tricks and went along.  Story did so well in the waiting room.  We colored.  We ate snacks.  We looked at pictures on the iPhone.  We played with her new baby.  And then we decided we would sit in the car until Mama was finished, ha!  

One of my favorite things about going to Mama's house is spending time with this girl.  Tuesday, I got to pick her up from school, always a treat, and then that evening after she was done with ball practice, we did a little photo shoot while we still had a few minutes of light.  The rest of the pictures from her shoot will be up on the photography blog later this week.  Thanks, Keri, for letting me get in some practice!  I loved spending time with you!

Thursday afternoon, Keri's team was playing in a softball game, so we definitely didn't want to miss that.  Keri is the pitcher for her team, and she did a great job!  In fact, Keri's RBI actually won the game for her team in the last inning!  It brought back so many good memories for me of my many hours logged in at the ball field, and it made me so proud to watch Keri's team do so well!  As you can see, Story knows where to get the goods.  Uncle Kim is taking her to the concession stand to get a treat, ha!  

Here we are with Mama on Friday morning.  My sweet Uncle Joey insisted on taking our picture, and I am so thankful he did.  Love this picture and the memories we made last week with Mama.  I sure missed David and the big 3, and I am so thankful to him for supporting me and encouraging me to go spend time with this precious lady.  I love that Story got to go with me and spend time with Mama and the rest of my family.  My uncles sure were smitten with her, and I just cannot imagine why, ha!  
Then, before we knew it, the week was over, and it was time to head home to Mississippi!
Story is such a great car companion.  She took several cat naps on our trip.  We sang LOTS of songs.  Her favorites right now are: ABCs, Jesus Loves Me, You are My Sunshine, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Indescribable, and Row Row Row Your Boat.  We also counted and talked and talked and talked.  After one stop and another nine hours, we made it safely home once again.  I was oh so happy to see the big 3 and their daddy.  So thankful for a week spent with my little love and Mama.  So thankful for a loving and supportive husband.  So thankful to have our party of six all under the same roof again.  

No comments: