Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Other Children

For the last three days, I have been with my "other" children, my third graders at the Heiskell School. We left school early Wednesday morning headed for the Okefenokee Swamp. After touring the swamp, spotting a few alligators and otters, we set off for Epworth-By-The-Sea on St. Simon's Island. Epworth is a Methodist retreat center founded by John and Charles Wesley. As a child, I used to attend church camp there in the summers. Kind of neat how our lives often come full circle. That night we enjoyed a perfectly healthy and delicious meal of Southern fried chicken, it was divine! Honestly, I don't know if it gets much better than fried chicken. Thursday, we rose early and set off to tour some sites in the St. Simon's area. We went to Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation, Fort King George, and the St. Simon's Lighthouse. What a fun, busy day! Boy, was it cold too. There were several times I was nervous the wind might take away one of my little people! Friday, we said our good-byes to St. Simon's and Epworth and headed to Savannah, one of my all time favorite places, ever. I grew up about 50 miles from there and we spent as much time in Savannah as we did in our home town. I feel like I know it well, but every year on this trip I learn something new about this city I love so much. After an awesome trolley tour and a picnic lunch on River Street with the waving girl, we headed back to Atlanta. It was a wonderful trip, but boy was I ready to get home to my three little ones and my sweet husband, who single-handedly took care of all three of them by himself while I was gone. He did a great job too! Not many men could do that! I think I will keep him! Here are some pictures of our adventures. You can also go HERE to read more about my life with my other children! They are quite a fun bunch!


No comments: