Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine vow renewal, sort of.

Do you ever do anything just on a whim? Probably lots of you do. Not me. Not usually. I'm really not very spontaneous, and sometimes I wish I were. But, I really love a plan. I mean is there anything better than researching something, plotting out the details, and following through? Well, about a month ago, I was driving somewhere by myself, which is a rarity in itself, and the local Christian radio station I listen to was advertising a Valentine vow renewal. The DJ went on to give details of how it would be a romantic night for you and your spouse with the opportunity not only to renew your wedding vows, but also to enjoy a concert and a cake reception. Okay! Well, on a whim I decided to apply (not really sure if that's the word I'm looking for) for this Valentine vow renewal. I mean, what did I have to lose? Nothing. So, I wrote my 150 word essay explaining why I thought they should choose us. I think the whole 4 kids, 4 and under sealed it for us because just a few weeks later I received an email saying you have been chosen to participate in 104.7's Valentine vow renewal! What! So exciting! The best part is that I never told David I applied. He is always doing really sweet things to surprise the children and me, and I just never feel as though I have the opportunity. Mostly because he is in charge of the checkbook, so there's no chance of a surprise. In fact, he knows I've been to Starbucks before I even go! I digress. I forwarded him the email, and he found a sitter, 3 of them, to take care of our precious little ones. Saturday during nap time, we got all gussied up for our date. We left the house in plenty of time, but then. . . two words, Atlanta traffic. We were in the car for an hour and half to go 32 miles. Needless to say, we were late. So late in fact that we missed the vow renewal party, sad! However, we did get to see this guy in concert, and he was phenomenal.
Yes, this is from the back row. Remember the late arrival part? Anyway, this is Josh Wilson, and if you've never heard his stuff, it's pretty great.
Most of the songs he played came from his new CD, which was released the same week of the event. After the concert, we went to the reception, which offered samples of wedding cakes from an Atlanta bakery. We also had the opportunity to meet Josh Wilson, along with Kevin and Taylor, the morning DJs for the Fish. Sadly, we did not take our pictures with any of them. This is all my fault too because I just embarrass too easily and didn't want to ask! Afterwards, I was really bummed. One day, I'm going to get over my reservations about life and just put myself out there! It was a fun night. We had our pictures made, and we won a DVD/CD prize pack, so that was neat. Most of all, we got to spend the evening together. Thankfully, we didn't need the vow renewal ceremony to be married, ha! However, if given the chance, I would say 'I do' all over again.

2 comments:

Garretts said...

it's the thought that counts, right? hate you missed the main event, but surely the music & cake were well worth the traffic fighting!

Cari said...

That is kinda funny! I was wondering what you meant by vow renewal, kind of! Ha!