Monday, August 29, 2011

Courageous.

This past weekend, David and I had the amazing, opportunity to attend the movie premiere and red carpet event for the movie, Courageous, put on by Sherwood pictures.  Our good friends, the Baileys, are on staff at the church, so they invited us to attend this once and a life time event.  We had so much fun!  I told my mom it was like a fairytale, only the real thing!  We got to walk on the red carpet, have our picture taken in front of the Courageous back drop, and watch the premiere of the movie at the Fabulous Fox theater, what a perfect date.  Thank you, Jonathan and Tiffany, for inviting us to attend this spectacular event with you.  
David and me in front of the Courageous back drop. 

Mark Hall from Casting Crowns was there, so I shamelessly snapped a picture. It may or may not have embarrassed my date.  
Most of the cast from the movie.  It was so neat to see them after the premiere.  
This picture is mainly for my mom, ha!  I wanted her to see more of my dress.  Thank you, T, for helping us to look fancy!
What a treat!  After the show, we ran into our friends the Stricklens.  David and Chris were in the MIR program at First Atlanta, so we loved getting to hug their necks and catch up for a minute.
Okay, so the purpose of this blog post is two-fold.  I, of course, never want to forget this amazing night with my love, but at the end of the movie, the audience was charged or deputized (as they called it) with the task to share the movie and to promote the movie.  I really don't think this movie needs much help.  I think it is going to create waves all over the world, and I'm excited to watch it happen.  But, I did want to share a few of my thoughts, not they are worth much.  After seeing the movie, three big things stuck with me.  Don't worry, I am not going to spoil anything.  First, it made me so very thankful that God chose David to be my husband and the father of my children.  Wow.  I am blessed, and so are they.  I mean really blessed.  He is a great daddy and husband, the best I've ever seen.  I'm so thankful to do this whole parenting thing with him.  Second, but definitely not less important, it made me realize with thanks and humility God's hand on my life.  Without airing too much dirty laundry on my blog, but at the same time making myself transparent, I grew up with an absent father.  He left when my sister and I were young, and never really looked back.  Now that I'm a parent myself, I don't really know how that happens, but that's not my point.  Throughout the movie, strong and sobering statistics are quoted about what happens to children who grow up without a dad, and it's not good, people.  It's sad, and it's real.  And by the grace of God and a super cool mom, I'm not one of those statistics quoted, and I'm really thankful and humbled.  Which brings me to my third point, I'm super thankful for my mom.  I don't know how she raised my sister and me alone, and I hope I never have to walk in those shoes, but I'm eternally grateful that because of her there was never a time in my life when I didn't hear the name of Jesus.  And that changed my life.  So, friends, go see the movie.  Take your spouse out on a date, and go see it.  If you are single, go see it.  If you are a grandparent, go see it.  If you've never had children of your own, go see it.  And then pray that God would, through this movie, move in a powerful way to touch the hearts of dads across the world, so that those statistics don't become any greater.  Just in case you need any more convincing to go see this movie, here is the movie trailer downloaded from youtube.  


1 comment:

The Baughers said...

Thanks for sharing this Heather! How neat you and your hubby got to go to this! And what a testimony of God's love and faithfulness in your and your family's life-praise Him! I can't wait to go see the movie!