Friday, February 24, 2012

Grandparent's Day for Summer and Tilly.

Today was grandparent's day at Summer and Tilly's school.  The girls have been so excited for the last few weeks as they have been working very hard to get ready for this special day.  Our "real" grandparents could not attend, but we had two very special friends to stand in the gap, and we are so thankful they did!  
Tilly's class went first!  She was very nervous at first, and just stood there kind of wide eyed.  But when the music started, she was on!  
One of my favorite things Tilly did was in the middle of the program, you know the time when it's really quiet in between songs?  She shouted, "I see Story!"  So cute!  
She sang several of our favorite songs:  Jesus loves me, I'm a little teapot, You are my sunshine, God our Father, ABCs, and the Itsy bitsy spider.  They also answered the first 10 questions of the catechism, so sweet!  
Then, it was Summer's turn.  She was right smack in the middle of the back row.  And she knew every word to every song.  We were so proud.  It was so much fun to watch her sing her little heart out.  
Summer's class sang several songs that I had never heard before that were to the tune of some very popular songs.  My favorite was to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," and it was all about spending time at your grandparent's house.  
There's our pretty brown-eyed girl.  Notice she's the only one without a big ole bow!  I mean, they are serious about their bows here in Mississippi, we need to get with the program, ha!  
At the beginning of the program, Summer's class sang the National Anthem.  It was so sweet and moving.  I had her sing it to me in the car on the way to pick up Carter from school.  Yes, we are going to have to work on her rendition, ha!  Some of the words she totally made up!  
Summer's class sang 5-7 songs and recited the 1-2 Buckle My Shoe rhyme, that's one of her very favorites.  She's been teaching it to Tilly over the last couple of weeks.  
Summer and Tilly, we are so very proud of you!  Mommy and Daddy loved hearing you sing today during the program.  I know your grandparents would have loved it had they been there.  We love you so much!
Miss Susan was one of our special guests from church who stood in the gap as a grandparent, and she was so very precious and excited to be there!  I have to be honest, I was sad about grandparent's day because I knew that ours would not be able to come, but it was such a blessing to be able to ask two sweet ladies from our church to be our special guests for the day.  Miss Susan and Miss Tina were so appreciative of being asked, and it just made the girls' day to have someone from our church family in the audience.  
Thank you, Miss Tina and Miss Susan for being our special guests today!  We love you!  

No comments: