Saturday, July 30, 2011

Not my finest Mommy moment.

Well, momma said there'd be days like this.  Momma didn't say what those days would look like or how you were supposed to handle those days.  Tuesday was one of those days, definitely not my finest mommy moment.  I would not even write it down because the children thankfully probably won't remember it (except for Carter and he just has a scary memory), but it's moments like these that help you appreciate all the grace given by the One who loves us better than any parent could, and it's days like this that makes us appreciate the really good days that momma probably wasn't referring to in the song.  
We have been traveling so much and had not done our usual grocery shopping yet.  I was making breakfast, an old faithful, oatmeal.  Yes, you can probably imagine where this is going.  Our kitchen is small, and all of the children were up under my feet, which is perfectly normal and almost expected.  I turned around to take the oatmeal to the table, and I don't know if I slipped or tripped over one of the children, but I did something causing the burning hot oatmeal to go flying all over the kitchen and all over Tilly and Summer.  It was awful.  I remember it felt like slow motion, but there was nothing I could do to stop it.  Summer was screaming hysterically, so I was frantically wiping it off her legs.  And then there's Tilly, standing over in the corner, whimpering a little, but not really making much noise.  I put the girls in a cool bath to clean off the oatmeal, and that's when I noticed Tilly's hand.  It looked worse than Summer's legs, probably because she never cried or screamed, so I didn't get the oatmeal off very fast, and it just burned her little fingers.  Ugh.  Break my heart.  I don't love gory detailed pictures of nasty injuries, but I did want to document this moment, so here is my sweet Tilly at the doctor's office, a day after the injury.  
That same day her hand blistered, and then the blisters popped (cringe) during her nap.  By the next day, they looked bad, so we went to the pharmacy, where they gave us some cream for burns, silvadine and an anti-biotic ointment for her.  David texted his friend from home, who is a pediatrician in Little Rock an up close picture of the wound, and he said we needed to see a doctor, so we went.  The nurse practioner could not believe that Tilly was not complaining or crying in pain.  In fact she asked Tilly if her finger hurt, and Tilly confidently replied, "No!"  She has been the sweetest little patient.  It's no wonder her name means "strong in battle."  She was definitely named appropriately!  Wednesday night, we put a sock on her hand for our trip to church, and she never took it off.  In fact, it was still on her hand the next morning when she woke up.  The good news is that her little hand is going to be fine, and she is going to be fine.  I also recognize that there will be many other days like this with my sweet little ones.  I just continue to pray and ask for grace for each day and each moment, so that I can better handle these days momma keeps talking about.  

4 comments:

Lorie said...

You're not alone! :) When our oldest was about 10 months our neighbors were putting in a pool and apparently upset a colony of fire ants. They found their way into his bedroom and when he would cry out in the night, we would go rock a little, check his diaper, etc. then put him back into bed and he'd sleep a while then wake up again. We never turned the overhead light on and didn't realize until morning that he had around 30 bites. His eye was swollen shut, his ears looked like a wrestler with cauliflower ear. It was AWFUL! I almost called DFACs to self-report. :)

Blue, Heather, Campbell and Piper Bryan said...

I am so sorry that happened!!!! Poor sweet girl:( But remember, every parent has a story and we will only get more. And none of that changes the face that you are an incredibly mommy!!!!

Emily said...

Oh, Heather! I'm sorry you had one of those days! And I'm so thankful that the Lord provided you with tough, forgiving kids! They will always love you, no matter what! Love you.

The Riddle's said...

We have also had day like this!!