Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pink Heart Funds.

In August of 2010, I donated my hair for the first time to Locks of Love.  You can read about that post here.    Several of my girlfriends I taught with had done it, and I was so inspired that I wanted to give my hair, too.  Like so many families, mine has been impacted by cancer, and I felt this was just a small way I could contribute.  After I cut my hair that August, I never remember deciding in my mind I was going to grow it long to donate again, but that's just kind of what happened.  We got busy with life, made a big move, and before I knew it my hair had gotten long again.  Last weekend here in Mississippi, it was unseasonably hot, not even warm, just hot.  I knew it was time, ha!  The hair had to go.  I made an appointment with my friend, Bridget, who goes to our church and has cut the big three's hair.  I think I was a little nervous, but mostly just excited!  Have you ever transitioned to a new season of life, and then gotten your hair cut off?  It's freeing!  

David was at work, so I took my own before picture in the mirror in our dining room.  Not great photo quality, but you can get the idea.  
And here's the ponytail after Bridget cut it. I  wish I had thought to get my picture with Bridget after the cut, but it just never crossed my mind.  I think I was just too excited to get home and show my family the new do!  The children were so funny with their reactions.  Carter was so cute and sweet telling me he loved my new hair cut!  Summer told me that it looked terrible, but that she still loved it!  What does that even mean, ha?!?  Tilly, whispered really sweetly over and over, "I love your new hair cut, Momma."  Story did not know what to think!  She loved to play with my hair when it was long.  Throughout the day, she kept looking at me saying "Hair!  Where did it go?"  She would hold her hands out to the side as if asking a question, so cute.  First thing this morning when I got her up, she said, "Hair!"  David is always sweet and encouraging no matter what my hair looks like, but he tells me this is my best hair cut yet! Thanks, Bridget, I think it is a big hit!  


Here's my after picture, again not great quality.  This time, I donated my hair to a local charity based out of Gulfport, MS, called Pink Heart Funds.  Like Locks of Love, Pink Heart Funds provides wigs for people of any age, who have experienced hair loss due to illness.  The difference in the two organizations is that Pink Heart Funds provides the wigs for FREE!  How great is that?  For those of you who are thinking about growing your hair to donate, check out these two great organizations.  

No comments: