Wednesday, December 12, 2012

David Phelps at Hardy Street Baptist Church.

Monday night, we had a very special night in the life of our church.  We hosted David Phelps in concert and had in attendance well over 900 people.  It was such an amazing event to be apart of, but I have to tell you I was completely skeptical.  At first.  I am ashamed to say that I had never heard of David Phelps.  Gasp.  I know!  Shame for a baptist preacher's wife.  When I learned he sang with the Gaithers (at least I had heard of them), I was even more skeptical.  Southern Gospel music is just not my thing.  I enjoy many types of music, but that just isn't one that gives me goosebumps.  Because good music does that, you know! I love that Monday night, I was completely surprised and excited to have been proven wrong.  He, David Phelps, had me at: Joyful, Joyful, we adore thee!  It was loud and awesome, and I definitely had goosebumps! 
He's quite the entertainer, too.  And funny.  And he can sing better than most people I have ever heard. Wow.  I told one of my friends today that he did it all.  He sang a little bluegrass, a little Christmas music, a little Southern gospel, a little opera, and a lot awesome!  I may or may not be his newest fan.  Regardless, I truly enjoyed myself, and I was so proud of our church and our people for working so hard to host such an amazing event.  
The first picture up top, my David took with his iPad during the concert.  This one, I stole borrowed from Instagram.  I'm not sure if that's even allowed or not, so I apologize in advance.  It was taken before I arrived, and I know that because I later sat four rows back on the left side by the aisle, and I'm not there yet.  This picture shows less than 1/2 of our sanctuary, so you can only imagine how many people were here!  So exciting!  I do have a funny story of the night.  It's too cute to keep to myself.  One of our sweet college girls reserved David and I seats early in the day.  I needed to be home with our children, and David was busy making sure all was well, so neither one of us were able to save seats.  Once I arrived, the entire bottom of the sanctuary was full, but one of the ushers spotted me and motioned me to our seats.  Shortly after I was seated and comfortable, a precious young fella in our church came over to where I was seated and very politely and kindly told me that I was not going to be able to sit in these seats because they were reserved for the pastor of the church.  Oh goodness!  I didn't know what to do.  Should I just go along with it and move and save us both some embarrassment?  I kind of wish I would've done that, ha!  But I didn't, I just leaned over and whispered, "I'm his wife."  Oh, I don't know who was more embarrassed or who turned redder in face! I am sure it was me! He apologized profusely and walked away.  And I felt like I was two inches tall.  Then, about 10 minutes later, he came back over to tell me again just how sorry he was!  How very precious!  I hope he is telling this story somewhere and laughing, too.  What a great memory!

No comments: