Monday, July 22, 2013

What's on my nightstand.

I was just thinking today that I have been lost in several really good books lately, and I thought I would share.  I'm not sure the title is quite accurate as most of these books are actually on my iCloud reader, but in keeping with the other posts I've comprised on my love for the written word, I will keep the title the same.  My OCD would not allow me to do otherwise, even if I wanted to, ha! Surprisingly, I have found some spare time to read this summer, and I have loved it. Most of my reading is done on a machine at the gym or during nap time.  Occasionally, I stay up reading for a bit at night once David goes to bed.  
I briefly talked about this book in my post about this year's Southern Baptist Convention in Houston.  I was given a copy of this book at the Pastors' Wives luncheon and read it on the way home to MS from the convention.  It was a great and easy read.  I highly recommend for any and all church members.  Rainer, President of LifeWay, discusses responsibilities and attitudes of church members.  I found the book eye-opening and convicting.  I've given away several copies myself already, and David has given a copy to each of our deacons to read as well.  
It's no secret to those who know us well the great love we have for the Duck Dynasty family.  David and I jumped on that bandwagon early in their first season and haven't missed an episode.  The children have even enjoyed watching with us!  I read Willie and Korie's book last year, so when Phil came out with his own book, my love bought it for me!  I easily read the first few chapters while we were at the beach and read some more during  our trip to Houston.  It reads much like Willie's book in a conversational manner and not very wordy, just wholesome and good, much like the TV show.  This weekend some of the family members are coming to our town, and David and Carter are going to go see them!  How exciting!  I'm sure I'll have more to post on that!
I really enjoy movies, but it's just not something we do very often, probably has something to do with the whole 4 kids in 48 months thing, ha!  If David and I get a night out, we like to eat out and just walk and talk, not sit in a theater.  I downloaded this book to my iCloud just after it hit the theaters.  I am confident this was a requirement for my AP English class in high school, but I honestly cannot remember it, which is surprising because I LOVE to read.  I read it again, but I have not seen it at the movies yet.  I imagine I will just wait until it comes out on DVD.  I have to be honest.  I thought it was really sad, and I didn't love the ending.  I think it's because I am just a hopeless romantic.  I do want to see the movie though.  I had to reread the book first though! 
After Gatsby, I read this book.  Steve Berry is one of my favorites.  My sister introduce him to me years ago saying that I would like him, and she was so right!  I've also read The Amber Room, The Jefferson Key, and The Romanov Prophesy by him, great reads!  He's written a lot, so I need to check out some of his others.  Berry has a character that recurs in a lot of books, Cotton Malone, who appears in The Tudor Plot. Malone is a good ole Georgia boy, so what's not to love! 
I told you that I've been reading a lot!  I downloaded this one at the recommendation of another blogger.  I have never read Amy Harmon before, but I am loving this book so far.  I just started yesterday, so I am only about 1/4 of the way through it.  Basically, it's the story of a girl, who was abandoned by her mother, loses the man she believes to be her father and grows up believing she is a nobody until a teacher at her school takes her under his wing.  I'm not sure yet if there are romantic intentions, but I'm guessing there are!  I actually finished this book over the weekend, staying up late to read it on Saturday and Sunday nights because I could not put it down!  Such a great story of redemption and love!  
Lastly, I've been reading this book.  I host a college girls' Bible study in our home on Thursday nights, and we decided for the summer months to study the book of Esther.  While at convention, I picked up this book to help me as I study and prepare for our lessons each week.  The other girls are not using this book, and we are not watching the DVDs, but I have learned so much in going through the daily Bible studies during the week.  Aside from great study, I am loving my time with these girls.  Too much fun!  So that's it.  I'd love to hear what you've been reading, as I am always looking for something new to read, even if it takes me months to get to it.  School will be starting soon, so I'm not sure if that will afford more or less time for one of my favorite things! 

No comments: