Friday, April 10, 2015

#odellspringbreak2015, Selma, AL.

When we left Hattiesburg, we decided to go a new way to Georgia, which we won't do again because it took way longer, but we were able to do something really cool that we would not have been able to do had we gone the regular route.  
 We got to drive through Selma, AL.  The week before we were there marked the 75th anniversary of the original march over the Edmund Pettus bridge, resulting in "bloody Sunday."
 First, we drove over the bridge as we entered the town, which was powerful in itself.  
 But, then we got out and walked across.  It was incredible.  I don't really have the words to describe this event.  We did our best to explain to the children the significance of the bridge and the event, but I fear we didn't do it justice.  
 After leaving the bridge, we drove over to Brown Chapel, where the marchers gathered first.  
 It's really a beautiful building.  I wish we'd taken the time to inside, but I think you have to schedule a tour, and there was a large group already outside.  
Brown Chapel is where Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke so many years ago.  I am so thankful we were able to share with our children this important piece of history.  I was so thankful to experience it myself! 

No comments: