Monday, May 07, 2012

A week with Mama.

Last week, my husband gave me one of the sweetest, most precious gifts.  He gave me a week to spend back home in Georgia with my grandmother.  Her health has been declining in the last few years, quite rapidly in fact.  Just a couple of weeks ago she fell and was in a car accident all within a few days.  We talk often, but it's just not the same as seeing them, you know?  David and I knew it would overwhelm her to bring our party of six over for a few days.  We overwhelm very healthy people, ha!  Anyway, we decided it would be best for Story and I to travel to Georgia while the big three were still in school.  And that's just what we did! 
Last Monday morning, Story and I left Mississippi and headed to Georgia.  It's 541 miles from our driveway to Mama's house in Portal, Georgia.  We made it in just over 8 1/2 hours, only stopping one time in Montgomery, Alabama, for gas and lunch at CFA.  Story was such a trooper!  We drove David's truck, so we did not even have a DVD player for her to watch.  She talked and played and sang and slept.  I was able to catch up with some friends on the phone.  I remember one time Story told me, "No phone, Mommy, no phone!"  I think she wanted my attention, ha!    
Here's what you need to know about my grandmother.  She's one of my most favorite people.  Ever.  She is the best listener.  I used to love to come home from college and go to her house.  She would let me just talk and talk and talk, only giving her opinion if I asked for it.  Mama loves the Braves.  Loves them.  I remember in the 90's when they were killing it, she would rock in her chair and swing that tomahawk.  Thankfully, this week while I was there, the Braves were playing the Phillies, so we got to watch a lot of baseball.  Braves baseball will forever remind me of her.  She loved them even when they were so terrible nobody gave them a second glance.  And she can cook.  Oh my goodness!  My college roommates used to love it when I would go home because I would come back to Athens with a car full of treats.  Mama took me wedding dress shopping just after David proposed, and she bought my wedding dress when I later found the one.  How precious.   There are so many other reasons I so enjoy my time with her.  I love to hear her tell stories about when she was first married to my Papa or when my mom was growing up with her brothers.  Mama tells me that her house was the place to be.  I want to be that kind of mom.  My Mama sure loved spending time with Story this week.  She loves time with all of her grands and great grands. But, this is the first time Story has ever had all of our attention to her little self, and I think she loved it!  I am so very thankful that we got to share this week together with Mama.  What a treat!  
So, how did we spend our week?  We arrived at Turpentine Drive on Monday evening just in time for supper.  We had chicken, fresh green beans, and squash casserole.  So yum!  Tuesday, we spent the day at Mama's house.  Wednesday, we drove to eat at Mama's favorite place in Statesboro, Ocean Galley, where we ate popcorn shrimp and fried green tomatoes.  Story put a hurting on some shrimp and ketchup!  After lunch we drove to see one of my grandfather's sisters, Aunt Lois.  What a delight it was to see her.  I haven't seen her in years, so I'm really thankful we got to see her.  I don't have a picture because we didn't give her fair warning that we were coming because we didn't want her to go to any trouble for us, so I didn't feel I could take her picture, ha!  Thursday, we rode to Swainsboro to see my grandfather's other sister, (he was one of 6!) Grace.  Once again no picture because no fair warning we were coming!  Aunt Grace is a hoot.  She was telling stories about my sister and me when we were little, you know before we became upstanding citizens and all.  That afternoon, we stopped to see Aunt Annette.  She is really my grandfather's niece, but she is about the same age as my grandmother, so we have always called her Aunt Annette.  Her husband, Durden, was a huge Georgia football fan, so I always love to look at all their UGA collectibles when I go to their house.  
My mom has three brothers, and they all farm.  My grandfather was a farmer, too.  One of the uncles brought me these Vidalia onions.  Straight.  From.  The.  Field.  What?  I know!  I'm so excited to share these with some of our sweet friends here in Hattiesburg.  
A couple of afternoons while my little one was napping, I picked up this pretty girl from school.  I cannot believe she is finishing up her 7th grade year and will turn 13 later this month!  Where does the time go?  I love that Story has a dimple on her cheek, just like her cousin Keri.  These two had lots of fun playing together in case you can't tell.  Keri is such a great girl, and it's so refreshing to be around a middle-schooler who has a good head on her shoulders and doesn't care that she's not doing most things children her age are doing.  I love that about her.  
Thursday during nap time, I set out by myself to take some pictures around town.  This is an old Turpentine still that my great-grandfather built.  He's best known as Big Daddy, but I never knew him.  He built this still, and then my grandfather's brother, Ernest, took it over while my grandfather was off fighting the Japanese in WWII.  Every year in September, there is a huge Turpentine festival in Portal.  I used to love going as a child.  There's a big parade on Saturday, and I remember my grandfather being the grand marshal in the parade one year, riding in the fire truck.  We don't participate in the festival much more, mostly because my grandfather is not around any more, and I think it just makes my grandmother too sad.  
Here's a picture of my grandmother's house.  She used to have  huge tree in the front yard, and to me, it just doesn't quite look the same without that tree.  Some of my most favorite memories are here in her home.  Easter egg hunts in the yard.  Sitting on the swing.  Talking in her living room.  Cooking in her kitchen.  Sleeping late.  Family gatherings.  
Big Daddy and Big Mama also ran this store in town before they passed away.  I love that the sign is still hanging.  
The town of Portal now has their own Centennial park just beyond the school.  This marker is at the front entrance to the park in memory of my grandfather and great-grandparents.  You can see where we got our little boy's name!  Kind of special, we think.  
Another marker in the park.  
Lastly, I rode out to the cemetery to visit my grandfather's grave.  He passed away when I was in the 7th grade.  I remember vividly getting called out of Mrs. Shaw's math class for an early dismissal.  My mom is an educator, and we NEVER got to leave school early.  Never.  So, I knew something was wrong.  Papa had cancer, and finally it just took over and ran its course in his body.  He died at Candler Hospital in Savannah on Super Bowl Sunday.  I still have lots of fond memories of him.  I remember packing my red "going to grandma's" suitcase and spending the night at their house on the weekends.  He would take my sister and I out in his blue silverado pick up truck.  I remember I said my first ever ugly word with him.  I was sitting in the back of his truck, and I was opening the lid on his Coleman's water cooler, and it popped my finger real hard.  The word just flew right out of my mouth.  I remember him trying really hard not to bust out laughing.  I think he was just too shocked to even scold me!  He fought in World War II in Japan, and he was aboard a Japanese battle ship when the war ended.  Our family still has the flag that was on that battleship his group of soldiers took over.  As I was sitting beside his grave thinking, I couldn't help but wonder how differently things might be if he were still here.  I think a lot of things would be different.  I know he would love seeing my children and meeting my fine husband.  I just know he would be so proud.  
I love this picture of Mama and Story.  I can't even remember what was being said.  Story had just finished her bath, and she smelled so sweet, all lavender and baby.  
I love this picture of Keri and Story.  She sure is tickled about something!  During our visit, we were also able to see Mama's brother, Lemuel and his wife, Grace.  And, we visited with Mama's sister, Kitty and her family.  We also saw some of Mama's sweet friends, Miss Pete and Miss JoAnn.  What a treat it was to see so many special people in just a short visit.  
Story and I left Friday morning about 8:30, after one last cup of coffee with Mama before we hit the road.  I'm so thankful to David for providing me the opportunity to go spend time with this precious lady I love so dearly.  He did an amazing job of holding down the fort with our big 3 at home all by himself.  Some sweet church members helped him along the way, but he did just fine.  I came home to a clean house, empty washer and dryer, and three sweet children shouting my name!  I will forever treasure this week spent with Mama, and I will be forever thankful for a safe trip back home to my little family.  Oh, it's so good to be home!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love this post, Heather. I love the invitation to know and learn about a part of you. It's always wonderful to me to see where our human stories intersect--it makes us all connected! Reading this made me think of my own extended family, the small towns they are from, and the traditions and stories that we all share. Thank you, sweet friend.