Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sweet Southern Comfort

When we moved to New Orleans for David to attend seminary, I quit listening to country music. Stopped. Cold turkey. It made me miss home way too much and it made me too sad. I remember driving through the lower ninth ward on my way to work and crying because some country crooner was singing about something that made me think of home. I think it was about that time the song, "Sweet Southern Comfort," came out. After being in Atlanta for going on five years and being close enough to home that we can drive in a day if need be (no small feat with three little ones I might add), I have just begun to listen to country music again, mostly because David loves it.
This past weekend we went "home" to spend a few days with Mama, pronounced mawmaw as opposed to momma. Being at home seemed like the perfect place to listen to a few country ballads, and listen we did. I grew up in Bulloch County, which at one time boasted more dirt roads than any other county in Georgia. Our home was nestled between 250 acres of planted pines, grown with love by my papa. I love going back to where I grew up with my family.
Mama was the perfect host to our party of five. She was most gracious when the children acted their ages, much to the chagrin of their mommy and, she fed us the best food I have had probably since the last time I was there! David particularly loves her sweet tea. We declare you could stand a spoon up in it for the sweetness! Thank you, Mama, for reminding me of all the things I love about being at home. We treasure our time with you! Hope to see you soon!
Sadly, I did not get any pictures of the children with Mama, but I did manage to capture a few with Cousin Keri. Keri is going to be in the 5th grade this year and I cannot believe how fast she is growing up. I remember going to my aunt and uncle's house after she was born and being afraid to hold her because she was so little; a lot has changed since then! Keri did a wonderful job of helping me to entertain the children. Carter, Summer, and Tilly loved playing with her!

Keri and little Tilly - she turned 11 months old while we were gone! Won't be long until we are celebrating her first birthday!

Keri with Carter and Tilly
Keri and Summer. I love this picture of both pretty girls!

No comments: