Friday, July 24, 2009

What's on your nightstand

Reading is a PASSION of mine, always has been as long as I can remember. One of the things I love about teaching is passing along that love of reading to my students. Even better about being a mommy is reading every night with my children! In honor of my love for a good book, I am playing along in a game called "What's on your nightstand." I found this game on a blog I follow. Because I love to read so much, I find myself reading more than one book at a time, especially non-fiction. I usually stick to one fiction book at a time though because the characters start to run together and that can be weird. Ha! That being said, I just finished reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It was awesome. Mostly, the book is set in 18th century Scotland. It is a beautiful tale of love and courage. There are 8 in the series, so this should keep me busy for a while, especially since school is starting in 21 days, but who's counting!
Also, on my nightstand is this book by Jill Rigby. It was recommended to me by Carter's teacher this past year and I have taken the time to read it this summer. In fact, I am going to be teaching through this book as part of our church's discipleship class series this fall! I can't wait to hear the point of view from other mothers as they too seek to raise godly children.
Also on my nightstand is this book by John Rosemond. He is a psychologist who found Jesus later in life, and Jesus being God rocked his world! Now, he writes and teaches from a biblical perspective, not that you cannot do both, but you know what I mean. This fall John Rosemond is actually leading a parenting seminar at my school, so I am hoping that David and I can participate. Parenting by the Book helps parents to understand parenting from a godly and biblical perspective as opposed to a worldly one. Fabulous and a recommended read to all!
Every year I read this book, The Jesus Storybook Bible, with my third grade class as part of our devotion time in the mornings. The fine print on the cover says, every story whispers His name! LOVE this book. It is one of the sweetest children's Bibles I have ever seen. David and I have also begun reading it to Carter and Summer.
Lastly, on my nightstand is a book of word searches. David bought this book for me when we went into the hospital to have Summer and I have been working through it ever since! I love the challenge of finding the words and finishing a page. It was fun to participate in this game! Happy reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so much fun!! that "outlander" book looks good! i may read that series. i'm a huge fiction fan!!! :) thanks for playing along. and my sister's blog is www.johnandchristinaanderson.blogspot.com.

:)

Christina Anderson said...

Heather - I just heard a recommendation for Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World by Rigby and almost ordered both last week! I'm super glad you are reading it so I can get an honest review from someone I know!!!