Monday, April 23, 2012

What's on my nightstand.

I love books.  Love them.  I don't find as much time to read as I would like, but I probably manage to find more time than a lot of folks, so no complaints here.  I love when someone recommends a good book, so I thought I would share some of the books I have been reading lately.  Feel free to leave a comment with any recommendations you have. I will go ahead and put this out there.  I love to read all kinds of books, fiction and non-fiction.  I really love a good story, and it doesn't always matter to me whether it is true or not.  I finished the Hunger Games trilogy not long after we moved to Hattiesburg, and I loved it!  In fact, I have been kind of at a loss as to what to read next.  I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and liked it okay.  While the plot was truly fascinating, there were some parts of it that were quite disturbing.  I have not decided whether or not I am going to read the second book or not.  During my period of indecisiveness, I picked up this book.  

I have it on my kindle, so I'm not sure how long it's been out, but I'm thinking a while.  The reason I chose this book is because David has invited, Don Piper, the author, to come and share at our revival in the fall.  I wanted to be in the know when our guest speaker comes, so what better way than to read his book!  It's a very easy read, and I read it in a matter of a few days.  Without spoiling the book but hoping to share a bit about it, Don Piper is in a terrible car accident while driving home from a pastor's conference.  He dies.  For 90 minutes.  During that time, he goes to heaven.  The book talks about his time in heaven, but also of the healing that takes place in his heart and body once he returns to our less than perfect earth.  
With summertime soon approaching, I'm beginning to plan out our days while I have all the little ones at home together.  Last summer, one of my favorite things we did was to have a daily devotion in the mornings and memorize scripture together.  Last summer, we read The Jesus Storybook Bible, one of the best Bibles I have seen for children.  This summer I wanted to do something a little different, so upon the recommendation of some friends, I picked up this book.  I have several of Sarah Young's devotional books for adults, and they are fabulous!  I cannot wait to begin this one with my children.  We may even start before school gets out!  
Who isn't a fan of C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books?  Don't answer that if you're not!  Last week, two of the books that have been made into movies came on television, and the big 3 loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Seeing their enthusiasm for this movie made my choice for our next chapter book an easy one.  We have all 7 books in the chronicles, so we are beginning with book 1, The Magician's Nephew.  
After finishing up Don Piper's book, I wanted to quickly find another good read.  I decided to steer away from fiction for now because I really wanted to read something that would encourage and strengthen my walk with the Lord.  I have been reading Angie Smith's blog for several years now, and I also follow her on twitter.  She's quite witty, and so very down to earth.  I love her snip its on the blog and twitter, so I knew that I would love her book as well.  I downloaded it last night and began reading it today.  What a great choice!  I see myself in so many of the pages, and I've only read the introduction and first chapter.  I think by nature I tend to be fearful.  Of many things.  Rejection.  Failure.  Loss.  I read something today that just resonated with me, and I think perhaps it might encourage you, too.  
Are you so focused on what you think is missing that you don't see what is present?  Maybe you need to ask the Lord to illuminate what it is He wants you to see.  It's possible that what you've seen as the end of the road is actually an opportunity to open your eyes and see something you haven't.  
Wow.  I can't wait to read more.  So, there you have it, our reading list for the next little bit.  

No comments: