Sunday, March 10, 2013

To help him remember.

I think one of the greatest gifts you can give your children is to tell your story and their story.  And don't just tell it once, tell it over and over again, so they remember it and remember it so well they can soon tell it themselves. I love to share with them stories from the past.  How their daddy and I met.  What we did before we had children.  How the Lord has provided for us in great ways.  Our journey as a family.  Our story.  Today, I want to share part of Carter's story, not to boast about anything that David and I have done as his parents because it's not about us anyway.  We just happen to be tools that He chooses to use.  The Lord has lovingly reminded me of this over the past few months.  I'm so thankful that He chose us to parent these four little loves.  There are many days, many that I know I haven't done a good job, and there are many days that are hard and tiresome.  But they are a gift, and it's so worth the mess and the lack of sleep and the tears and the fights because after all that, there is so much love.  So much. And it's quite humbling when I think about the great responsibility of parenting them.  I remember when they were little and, and David and I worked and planned in order to help them sleep all night.  And then we taught them to nap, and eat, and walk and talk.  Now, we are responsible for molding their little hearts.  Wow.  No pressure, right?  Well, today the Lord showed me through my precious little boy, our first born, that He can use us and He can still work in spite of our failings.  Thank goodness!  Today, our little boy ran (he didn't walk) down the aisle to pray with his daddy to ask Jesus to be his Savior.  In fact, I want to remember this part.  I had to make him wait until Miss Leshia started the music before I let him go! I never want to forget this day.  I never want him to forget this day.  So I write.  To tell and to remember.  
Last October, David preached a revival in Georgia, and Carter had the opportunity to sit and hear his daddy share the gospel for several nights in a row.  The last night we were there Carter leaned over to me and told me that he had to go down and pray and ask Jesus to forgive him of his sins.  Before I could question him or yes, even talk him out of it, he ran down the aisle and prayed (out loud!) to Jesus.  Since that time, he has been talking to us a lot about what it means for Jesus to be his Savior.  David and I would drill him and ask him all the questions, and he clearly knew all of the answers.  In his head.  What we didn't know was whether or not he also had a heart knowledge.  We talked to his Sunday School teacher and his children's pastor and both agreed that he knew all of the answers.  And yet we continued to put him off.  He would beg and plead with us, but we just weren't convinced that he was really ready.  And then, the Lord in His loving way, took us both behind the woodshed.  Who are David and I to decide if Carter is ready or not to invite Jesus to be his Savior?  Who are David and I to decide if his faith is real and authentic?  Who are we to decide if he's ready to make the best decision of his little life?  So a few weeks ago, we told Carter that if he was truly ready that he could come forward to pray with daddy and profess to our church that he wanted Jesus to be his Savior.  Two weeks ago, he was ready, but his Sunday School teacher,  Miss Martha, was not there, so he wanted to wait.  Then, last week he just chickened out, and we didn't push.  He was nervous about all the people.  I took the picture above to help us remember that today we had one of the largest crowds we have had in our church up to date.  A group from Brandon, MS, came to help with tornado relief and lead us in worship, and Carter was not at all deterred by the large number of people present.  He ran down the aisle grinning from ear to ear!
I'm so thankful some sweet friends thought to take pictures of this precious moment.  David Ware, one of the candidates for Mayor of Hattiesburg was visiting and took this picture.  There are so many people who have impacted Carter's little life up this point with the story of the gospel, and we are so thankful to them.  We are grateful for those who have taught him during the day in school, in Sunday School, TeamKid, Awana, our family members, and sweet friends along the way who have invested in his life and ours.  Thank you for being faithful to share, so that one more might come to know Jesus! 
And then Miss Melodie, another sweet friend at church sent this one to me.  I'm so thankful to have this moment forever captured to help us remember this day and to help Carter remember his decision to follow after the Lord.    
Carter, Mommy and Daddy are so very proud of this important decision you have made today. We believe this is the most important decision you will ever make in your life.  Thank you for being persistent in wanting to profess your faith to others.  We pray that you will follow hard after the Lord all the days of your life.  We pray that not for a moment will you stray from this faith you have declared in Jesus at such a young age.  We pray that God will use you to touch the lives of others for His glory.  We pray you will impact His Kingdom in a big way!  We love you to the moon and back a whole bunch of times, Carter Stokes O'Dell!   

No comments: