Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring Break, sort of. . .

Our spring break did not turn out exactly like we hoped or planned. In fact, that's how life goes sometimes, I think. Yes, we were all together, and everyone was safe and somewhat healthy, we got to sleep in some, and I did not have to go in to work; I am thankful for those things, but our spring break was nothing of a break. In fact, David and I have a running joke about the terror of our spring breaks. Our first spring break with Carter, we traveled to Charleston. How romantic! It's the city where we met. Carter was teething or growing horns or something; he was in a terrible mood the entire week! We questioned whether it was worth it to go, I think so. This spring break, Tilly was sick. The entire week. Gluttons for punishment that we are, we traveled anyway to South GA to visit Mama. I am so thankful we did; it was worth it to spend a few days with her, but it was rough. Rough. The first night Carter could not find the potty, so he had an accident. Tilly got sick in the play pen, a result of the antibiotics. Summer got cold and ended up in the bed with David, so I think he lost a kidney in the process. I saw every hour of the night; I think David did too. We were thankful when the sun woke up, so we could too. Mama made most of it better by fixing us a yummy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We were quite spoiled by her cooking, in fact. That and her famous sweet tea. The second night was somewhat better, but by the time the sun awakened, we were ready to be home. After a yummy breakfast, we hit the road headed for home. What you may or may not know about Tilly is that she does NOT like to ride in the car. I don't know what we did wrong with our third child, but she hates to ride, and feels the need to express herself readily to anyone in earshot. It was a long car ride back to Atlanta, no help that it poured more than half of the way. Our first night back home, Tilly fretted and coughed most of the night. And about 2:00 in the morning, Summer decided she wanted to lose all of what she had eaten that day and the day before, so she did all over her bed! The next morning, Tilly had the mother of all dirty diapers, another result of the antibiotics. So bad in fact, that the pajamas were just sacrificed to our big blue trash can outside; you can only imagine. At one point that morning, David and I delirious with sleep just laughed and asked if the week was over yet! So, we did survive the spring break week, sort of. I am going to miss being at home with my sweet family all day every day, sick or not. I am going to miss painting Summer's fingernails, reading stories to Carter, and playing pat-a-cake with Tilly. I am going to miss cuddling with my three little ones all day and joining in on nap time with them. I am going to miss sleeping past 5:30. I am going to miss wearing pajamas all day if I want to, but today is the end of our break, and overall I think we are glad it's over. Tomorrow, we hope to return to what is normal for us, sort of. In the meantime, here are a few snap shots of our spring "break."
Getting ready to go in the Bass Pro Shop on our way to see Mama.
Carter and Summer checking out the fish at the free aquarium.
They were amazed!
Our rock star Daddy with his girls! Could Summer look more like him if she tried? I think not! I was so very thankful for this man during our so called Spring Break. He never ceases to amaze me with his sacrificial love for our family.

1 comment:

Cari said...

Wow...that sounds like quite the adventure!! Glad you guys made some memories and that its over too! Ha!

Only a couple more weeks until Story joins the party and you get to be home for several weeks!!!!