Saturday, March 20, 2010

March Madness . . . are you ready?

Thankful I didn't jump on that Kansas bandwagon after all! Lovin' the madness!
Basketball is a nice sport. I played it in high school, sort of. I even coached it one year here, but that's another story for another day, it's a pretty funny one too! Let's just say I called David from school one day and said, "Um, I have gotten myself into a situation and I don't even remember saying yes!" All that to say, I like the sport. It is by no means my favorite. That would be college football, but I do enjoy watching and at one time enjoyed playing, well being on the team. When we lived in Marmaduke, I think I was a little overloaded with basketball, especially since their season lasts 9 months! Not really, but it sure felt that way, ha! Now my beloved, on the other hand, is passionate about basketball. He loves it, maybe not as much as he used to, but definitely more than me. In fact, is his glory days he was quite the baller. Word is, he still holds some state records in Arkansas. However, March Madness is another story. In fact, it should be a sport on its own. We love it! Our first March together as a couple, we filled out our brackets long distance. I was in grad school at UGA, and David was living in Arkansas. The plan was for him to fly to Georgia championship weekend, so we could watch the games together. My sweet roommate, Staci, reminded me that year I took over our den wall with my brackets displayed on posters. I was serious about the madness! David and I had a little friendly wager that year (you know us baptists don't believe in gambling). The deal was, if I won David had to do something to surprise me, and if he should by some miracle win, then I was to surprise him. Thank goodness the stars were aligned that year in my favor. Not only did I pick the entire final four correctly, but also the championship game and winner, who I am pretty certain was Duke. It was a great year for Team Heather! My surprise - David popped the BIG question, and of course I said YES! What a fun memory! I have often wondered what would have happened had he won, do you think he threw his bracket that year? Nah, not my competitive sweetie! At any rate, March Madness is special to us and we have so much fun filling out our brackets each year and watching the games together. So far this year, Team Heather is behind 4 games, but there is still lots of madness left to happen. Our wager (I don't remember to agreeing to this) is that if he wins I have to wear a GT shirt to school - good luck finding one in 8 month maternity size! If I win, he will wear his hair in a mullet. Side note, his hair has gotten long and shaggy as of late (I like it that way!), and is starting to have a mulletesque feel to it anyway! I'll keep you posted - should be a fun road to the final four and national championship at our house!
Let the games begin!!
Wednesday night we filled out our brackets together.
Final Four - can't wait to see how we fared!
My beloved bulldawgs are sadly not in the BIG tournament, so I am rooting for the sparsely represented SEC and mostly this team to win it all. I did not jump on the Kansas bandwagon this year like most people I know, and I may regret it, but we shall see!

2 comments:

Emily said...

GOOOooOOooOooOooo CATS!!!!!

Cari said...

Who is winning the bracket challenge??? I hope you are! I just realized that I have no clue where mine and Cory's brackets are -- ha! O what a newborn baby does to your world! Rocks it - for sure!!

Give those babies kisses from me! Love you all.