Monday, December 06, 2010

Our tree tells a story.

If you want to hear the story about how we found the perfect tree, you can click here. I think for most stories, unless you are Nicolas Sparks, it's best to start at the very beginning. Well, maybe not the very beginning like in Genesis, but the beginning of our tree story. This year it has been quite a process trimming our tree. I don't know if it's all the little people we have running around or letting the busyness of life get to us or just being plain tired, but it took us several days to trim the tree. A couple of nights after buying the tree, we finally hung the lights. Now, I'm thinking there is an art to this, and we don't know it, so we just hang them up the best way we know how. It seems to work well enough. Then, a couple of nights later, after the children were in bed, we finally hung the ornaments. It's really the ornaments that tell the story for us. As I was hanging the ornaments on the tree, I was lovingly reminded of different seasons or moments in life that afforded such beautiful gifts or even purchases we made ourselves. Our children are much too young to appreciate the story of each ornament, but one day they might want to know. I am hoping at least one of the four or however many more the Lord blesses us with will be sentimental like me. That one will certainly appreciate the story of the ornaments that one day will belong to them. Speaking of being sentimental, I take detailed notes of each of David's sermons and thoughts I have as he teaches, hoping one day my children will read and be encouraged by the way God has spoken His Word through their father. I digress. Back to our tree story.
2002, our very first Christmas as husband and wife. It's amazing that 8 years later, we are celebrating with 4 precious children. We are blessed, and I don't know what I would do without this husband of mine.
Our first couple of Christmases together before children, David and I did not decorate or put up a tree because every Christmas we were on the road to see our families. Until Carter was born, we did not spend Christmas in our own home, so we did not have many Christmas decorations. When Carter's first Christmas came, I desperately wanted to make it special and meaningful. He was only 7 months old, ha! Not likely to remember it at all, but I would. My sweet husband ran out one evening to get the basics: a tree topper, a tree stand, a tree skirt, stocking holders, lights, etc. I love this red star that he picked out and brought home for our first tree.
The beach is one of my most favorite places to be, always has been. I love the smell of the salt air, the feel of the sand between my toes, the feel of the ocean spray, and the warmth of the sun on my face. As a child, we spent our summers at Tybee Island almost every Saturday and Sunday. I remember as a little girl wearing our bathing suits under our dresses to church, and as soon as the pastor said, "Amen," we were on our way! Through my love of the beach grew a love for seashells and lighthouses. I collected lighthouses for many years, and though I seem to have "outgrown" that phase, I still love the beach and anything that reminds me of one of my favorite places. My mom bought me this lighthouse ornament when I was in college. It's even red and black for my dawgs, another reminder of something I love.
Oh, yes, my beloved bulldawgs. There are many blog posts dedicated to my dawgs, as I have loved them all my life. Sadly, they have not had the greatest season this year, but you'll not find a fair weather fan here, as I bleed red and black and love them despite their pitiful performances on the field this year. Hairy dawg is front and center on our tree!
Another sweet season is represented by this ornament. David and I lived in New Orleans for two years while he attended seminary. Our second year, I taught at a private Christian school, Faith Christian Academy. Miss Kim was my director, as I was an elementary teacher, 4th grade, and she gave me this ornament. FCA is no longer around, as it did not survive Hurricane Katrina. I am thankful of this sweet reminder of my time at FCA.
Here is an ornament of our first Christmas with Carter. It's hard to believe that for one season we were a sweet family of three. Summer was already growing in my tummy at the time. I love that Carter does not know life without her.
Carter's ornament telling of his very first Christmas.
My sister gave me this ornament for Christmas or my birthday, which are just a few days apart. It says, "Sister and friend, the perfect blend." Thankful for the reminder this ornament brings of my sister and her family.
I love this ornament because it reminds me of the story, The Polar Express, one of my favorites. I can't wait to read it to the children this season. I don't think they can handle the 2+ hour movie yet, so maybe next year.
Each year at Christmas, The Heiskell School (where I work and the 3 oldest attend) has a Mother/Daughter Tea at the Cherokee Town and Country Club. It is such an elegant, girlie event. Two times my mother has been able to join me, and I cannot wait until my girls are old enough to attend. The favor for the tea each year is an ornament, so I have several of these on my tree, reminding me of my current season teaching at this special place.
A few years ago one of my third graders at Heiskell gave this ornament to me. I enjoyed teaching this young man so very much, and his mother (he would die if he knew) told me how very excited he was about picking out this ornament himself and giving it to his teacher. This ornament is a sweet reminder that in life, you only have a moment to impact the lives of people, and I pray that I use my moments well and wisely.
This ornament is quite possibly one of my favorites on our tree. Carter made it last year at school and it says, "Happy birthday, Jesus." My prayer for our family this Christmas season is that David and I will do our best to make sure our children understand His is the most important story of all.
This ornament, funny looking as it may be, is a sweet reminder of my Arkansas boy. I will never forget the very first time I met David's family, his father presented me with my very own hog hat. Ironically enough, Georgia was playing Arkansas that year, so I proudly called the dawgs while wearing my hog hat!
This ornament, along with 3 others for our then family of four was given to us by a sweet church family during our first Christmas at FBC Austell.
My sweet cousin, Keri, gave Summer this ornament last Christmas. Summer loves her "pink, princess castle!"
Tilly got one too!
Lastly is Carter's ornament from our cousin Keri.
And there you have it. The finished product. Our Christmas tree. I can't wait to see what stories will be added for next year.

1 comment:

Wendy Rowell said...

I love this post! How sweetly put. A tree that tells a story. Sometimes I wish I had a glamorous...matchy matchy frilly tree...but, our tree tells a story too!!!! It is so fun to unwrap the ornaments and stroll down memory lane. :-) Love you friend!