Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hunker down, dawgs!

Larry Munson, the legendary voice of the Georgia Bulldogs will be heard no more.  He passed away Sunday, November 20, 2011.  I'm so very sad that my children will not experience Georgia football through his eyes.  Thousands or more across our nation are mourning the loss of this iconic figure of the dawg nation.  Many, like me, grew up listening to his voice during the games.  In fact, I remember muting the television and listening to his familiar voice on the radio calling the plays of the dawgs.  It was much better than anything reported on television during game time.  One of his best moments can be heard here.  Can't you see the sugar falling from the sky?  And Lady Luck laughing?  Even if you weren't present at the game, you sure felt like you were just listening to Munson.  What a passion he had for the dawgs!
I'm so blessed that he was still around calling the plays for the dawgs while I was in college.  I remember seeing him in Tampa for the Outback Bowl and just being so excited to have seen such a legend in in the flesh.  Here's a video with the audio of some of Munson's greatest calls.  

I think if you listen carefully, you can still hear him shouting, "Dawgs win! Dawgs win! Dawgs win!"

No comments: