Monday, August 17, 2009

Faith Like a Child

Saturday night, our hot water heater died. Yup, we were like really, right now? Right now! So, while David was out buying us a new one, I was home putting the children to bed, namely Carter and Summer. Tilly was long gone by this point! We were going through our usual nighttime routine of books, songs, and prayers in that order. I have been asking the children to choose someone they want to pray for. Every night Summer says she wants to pray for Miss Jeanne (the lady who took care of her last year and who will keep Tilly this year), but Carter said he wanted to pray for rain. I thought maybe he was trying to pray for someone and was getting the name wrong, but he insisted rain. So, we prayed for rain. I left their room and went to do some school work in our dining room. About 30 minutes later, I heard the sweetest sound outside. You can guess; it was raining! I don't know why I was shocked or surprised that God answered our prayer and I was immediately convicted of not praying in faith. However, the next moments are some of the sweetest I have had with this little boy of mine. I was prompted by the Spirit I am sure to rouse Carter so he too could see the rain. I went into the room and his little eyelids fluttered open. I said, "Come here, buddy, there is something I want to show you." He was so confused. I am sure he was thinking Mommy never let's us get up once we are asleep! We walked to the front door and I held him up to the window. I said, "Look, Carter, it is raining!" I wish you could have seen his big blue eyes! They were so wide with wonder. He was frantically looking back and forth at the rain through the window and then he said, "Mommy! Is God outside?" Precious, I know. I said, "Carter, God is everywhere!" Thank you, God, for answering our prayers and for sending rain! Thank you for this sweet, sweet moment with my little man. Thank you for his tender heart. May you capture his heart for you at an early age. Last night just before Carter went to bed he said, "Mommy, are you going to get me up tonight and let me see the rain again?" Wishful, thinking, my love!

2 comments:

Cari said...

Cute story!!! I love it. So sweet!

Garretts said...

precious post. I pray to have faith like a child! thanks for sharing. happy birthday to Tilly!