Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Run.

Saturday, David and I awoke before the sun trying to shower and get ready quietly, lest we wake the sleeping little people. After we were ready, we got the big 3 up and explained to them that we were going on field trip! Being the adventuresome bunch that they are, all excitedly dressed, brushed their teeth, and got ready for the day. After we were all loaded, we headed to Powder Springs for the annual Spring Chicken Run, a 5K in our area that benefits a local ministry CAMP, which helps needy families. The original plan was for David to run and me to stay home with the children, until a sweet couple in our church selflessly offered to wake before the sun, too, and meet us to entertain the children, so we could both run. It truly ministered to our hearts. David and I have been "running" (a loose term to me because I don't really think of myself as a runner, though I am really starting to enjoy it) for about two months now. Over spring break, we did our first 5K in Little Rock, so the Chicken Run was to be our second. Since spring break, we have been working hard to shave some minutes, seconds, whatever off our time, hoping for a PR. The week of the race, I got up every morning and ran between 4-4.5 miles every day, hoping that by adding extra distance, I could increase my speed on the day of the actual race. Well, it worked! David shaved a whopping 5 minutes off his time, and I was able to shave 3 minutes off my time! Success? I think so! We were ecstatic, especially because this race seemed to be particularly hilly, much more so than the one we ran in LR. I told David, the last 1/2 mile all I could think about were the sweet faces of my children that would greet me at the finish line, motivation, indeed. Thank you, honey, for encouraging me and sweating with me, and loving me through this running season. I can't think of too many places I wouldn't run with you.
My love and me after our big finish.
My sweet friend, Tricia, who killed the race herself and who has been a constant encouragement to me since I have known her. I tell her often she is a breath of fresh air in my life, and I love spending time with her!
David, me, and Tricia.
My Tilly girl at the finish line.
Our party of six after the race.
Now, here is where the day gets a little interesting. Carter and Summer badly wanted to run in the kid's race, so of course we agreed. Well, we thought this was the kid's race, but it ended up being the 1 mile run, ha! So, David ran another mile with our two oldest after our race, and they loved it! Carter, especially.
Story was such a good sport all morning, sitting mostly quietly in her car seat. By this point, she was over it though! I can hardly blame her.
Summer coming into the finish line. Look at her already running pretty!
I adore this big smile on Carter's face. He smiled the whole way into the finish, so precious! The only thing left to say is, "When do we get to do this again?!"

No comments: