Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Lenten project.

Growing up in the Methodist church, our family celebrated Ash Wednesday and Lent every year before Easter. We usually "gave up" something like cokes, chocolate, television, sweet tea, fried foods, basically something that we loved and would be a sacrifice to go without. Later in college, I remember participating in Lent giving up caffeine, bread, snacks, or other things that seemed bigger to me. The last few years, I don't really remember "giving up" anything, and this year as the Lenten season approached I was convicted about the whole "giving up" thing. In fact, David and I had a lengthy conversation about giving up things for Lent. I mean why can't Lent be about doing more for others or ministry or discipleship? I don't know. I had really been pondering Lent and reading up on it. Noel Piper, wife of John Piper, has two posts up about Lent here and here that were knowledgeable and thought provoking. Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent kind of snuck up on me, and I really hadn't nailed down the perfect way for me to celebrate Lent and prepare my heart for Easter. Until, I saw it on facebook! I know of all the places. One of my sweet fuge friends, Gretchen (we worked MFUGE in Charleston summer of 2000, also when I met David) posted her idea for Lent on facebook, and with permission I "borrowed" it. Her project is 40 days of gratitude in pictures. I love it! So, I have been posting a picture a day on facebook of something or someone I am thankful for and will continue to do so for the next 40 days. Because many family members don't have facebook, namely my mother and in-laws and because I want to document our story for my children to have when they grow up, I will also be posting my pictures on the blog once a week. What a perfect way to prepare my heart for the Easter season with gratitude. Gratitude for all He has given me, but most all gratitude for what He has done for me, dying on the cross, satisfying God's wrath for sin, so that I can have life in Him. What a gift! Now, that's something to be thankful for.

Day 1. I am overwhelmingly thankful for these four! SO thankful to be their mommy!
Day 2. So thankful for this sweet girl, who is 10 months old today, March 10. Thank you, Lord, for happy, healthy children.
Day 3. So thankful for his man. Love doing life with him! Thankful for 9+ years of marriage, 4 awesome children, and hope for an amazing future. Thankful that he makes me laugh, really hard!
Day 4. Thankful for spring break, picnics in the park, and flying kites with Papa and Gigi.
Day 5. Thankful for my precious grandmother and the lasting investment she has made in my life. Praying for healing in her body and abundant joy in her heart. Love love love this picture of her with sweet Story.
Day 6. Thankful for my mom and her husband, Hart, and the sweet ways they love our family.
Day 7. Thankful for the city of New Orleans, our two years spent there, and the amazing ways the Lord revealed Himself to us during that season.

No comments: