Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Let's go racin' boys!

This past weekend, David and I ran in the Little Rock 5K. Who knew, but it was so much fun! We have been training for the past couple of months. I was thinking I would run/walk most of it. For my training, I began running 3 minutes, walking two minutes, and each week closer to the race, I began increasing my speed and amount of running time. The week of the race, I got up and ran 3.17 miles every morning, except Friday the day before the race. By the end of the week, I was running up to 6 minutes at a time and decreasing my total time each day. Not bad for a non-runner! The morning of the race, we got up, showered, and headed to the River Market district where the race was being held. It rained on us the entire car ride, and it stopped just before the race began. Praise the Lord! I had been asking people to pray specifically against rain during the race. My only goals going into the race were to try to beat my best time and not to finish last, ha! I have never run on the pavement before, just the treadmill, so I really had no idea what to expect. David told me that I would really enjoy running with all the people and would feed off their energy. He was so right! 1000 people ran in the 5K that morning! What a rush! And I accomplished my goals, I beat my personal best time by over a minute, and I didn't finish last. There's another race coming up at the end of April that I hope to do, so we will see how that one goes. Thanks, David for encouraging me (signing me up without my knowledge) to run in the race with you! Can't wait to do it again.
Pre-race in the parking lot. You can seem some really large water drops on my shirt. SO thankful it didn't rain throughout the race.
David and me after the race!
Isn't he the cutest? I'd race with him any time!

No comments: