Monday, October 03, 2011

Calling.

For those of us who are believers, most things in life come down to a calling, at least I have found that to be true for me.  I was called to Him, called to be a bulldawg, called to be a teacher, called to be a wife, called to be a mom, called to serve, called to love, called to ministry.  On September 23, 1997, David was called to ministry.  After David and I had been married for just a couple of years, God clearly called us to leave our current ministry position in Marmaduke, Arkansas.  He didn't really tell us where He wanted us to go either, so we moved in with my mom for a few months (gasp - it really wasn't that bad, she's pretty cool) until we left for MFUGE in Nashville.  While we were there, God clearly called us to seminary and not just any seminary, but New Orleans Seminary.  Here's what you need to know.  We did not want to go to seminary, and if we went to seminary, we did not want to go to seminary in New Orleans.  Here's something else that might be new information to you, God has a serious sense of humor!  Don't you love that about Him?  I love to think of Him laughing with me and even at me, sometimes.  Here's the thing, too.  He knows better than us, doesn't He?  Why do I know this?  Because we loved, I mean we really loved New Orleans and seminary.  Loved it!  After leaving seminary, God called us to Atlanta, where David served as a MIR (minister in resident, kind of like a doctor, but not really) at First Baptist Atlanta.   After that one year internship, He called us to Sandy Plains Baptist Church and from there, He called us to First Baptist Church Austell.  After being at First Baptist Austell for almost four years, the Lord has once again called us.  To this place.  
Hattiesburg, Mississippi.  
My only recollection of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, prior to this summer was traveling through there from Arkansas to the beach.  I'm hoping we get to see lots of friends who make that same trek each summer once we become residents. I digress. Last spring, David was contacted by a church in Hattiesburg.  Two weekends ago, David was called to be their senior pastor.  What an honor!  So, our party of six, will move a week from today from our home in Austell to our new home in Hattiesburg.  
We will be welcomed by our new church family at Hardy Street Baptist Church officially on Sunday, October 23, my grandmother's birthday.  One thing about when God calls you is that if you love Him and desire to obey Him, you have to answer that call.  Sometimes, answering a call means change and saying good-bye to people you love, but it also means the hope of something new and peace in having an obedient heart.  We are humbled by this newest calling He has placed on our family, and yet, we are confident He will be with us every single step of the way.  He promised.  
"The One who calls you is faithful, and He will do it."
1 Thessalonians 5:24 

3 comments:

Laurie Moudy said...

I am thrilled that God called you to our church! I feel like GREAT things are on the horizon. Looking forward to our new friendship growing. Laurie

thehollandfamily said...

Love your post so true that as believers we are called to do many things we sometimes don't want to do. As hard as this is and as selfish as I want to be I am really excited for ya'll. I have gotten so used to ya'll only being two hours away. Now you will be 8. I guess we will just be burning up the road for a little longer now. I can't wait to see what He has in store for the family of six. I realized this weekend that this is the first time that I am having a child that you won't be there. I guess I will have to find another photographer or I won't have any pictures of this baby to send to you. Praying that you have a smooth transition. love you and miss you more than you know

Jodi Kendall said...

I'm so excited for you all & this new chapter! Can't wait to follow your adventures :) xoxo