Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Happy birthday, Mama!

For those of you who know me well, you know how very special my Mama is to me.  She has been such a huge part of my life.  When I was little and would get sick at school, she would pick me up and take me back to her work at Sears.  I would sit in the employee lounge, eat peanut butter crackers, drink a coke (cause that makes it all better), and watch soap operas.  In my high school years, she suffered from bleacher butt after watching endless softball and basketball games.  When I went off to college, she would fill up a cooler each time I went home with leftover yummies from the weekend.  When I went to Arkansas for the first time to see David, I came home and told her that I was going to marry that boy.  She took me wedding dress shopping in Statesboro after he proposed, and I said yes.  She bought my wedding dress once I found the one.  When we moved to New Orleans, I called her every day driving home from the school where I taught in St. Bernard's parish.  She came to the hospital when our three girls were born to help us welcome them, and she bought each of their going home outfits.  Carter was ten days late, and he wore the same outfit home his daddy wore, just to clarify.  She has made many pitchers of sweet tea, fried many chicken fingers, cooked many peas and corn, and baked many cakes.  I love her for each of these acts of love she has shown to me.  My favorite thing she does is listen though.  She wants to know, really know what's going on in my life.  She always has, and I love her for it!  
 This picture was taken on our last Sunday at our church in Georgia before we moved to Mississippi.  I'm so thankful she was able to be there.  She has not been able to travel much in this last year since we moved.  Story and I have traveled alone twice to spend time her, and I am so very thankful for that time we have had.  
My uncle Joey took this picture on my most recent visit in September.  
Our family was in Georgia last week for the revival, and Mama was not up for traveling that far, so we didn't get to see her.  However, when I told her that we were going to the apple orchards, she asked me to send her some apple pies.  So that's just what I did.  
Happy birthday, Mama!  I wish I could sit down and eat an apple pie with you on your birthday!  I love you!

No comments: