Thursday, May 30, 2013

Memorial weekend memories.


I have always loved Memorial Weekend.  School is usually over for the summer, the weekend is long, it's a special time to remember those amazing heroes who gave their lives for our freedom, and now it's even more special for our family because of Carter's birthday.  
David was off on Friday, so after a workout at the gym, we headed over to the zoo for the rest of the morning before lunch.  
We took a break from the splash pad to check out the animals.  The jaguar was on the prowl, and it was so much fun to watch him roam around.  
No caption needed.  
The children asked me if we could have a photo shoot while we were there.  Of course!  Sweet Summer posing for me!
Carter running through the fountains.  About lunch time we headed home to eat and take naps.  
In the middle of her nap, Story woke up crying and calling for her daddy.  I picked her up and put her in my lap, and she proceeded to fall back asleep for over and hour.  What a treat!  She never does this, so I was thinking something might be up with her.  Sure enough, she got sick not too long after she woke up.  It only happened once before we put her to bed.  She went to bed really early, just pitiful.  Okay, this I have to document because David and I were just so amazed by her.  Twice during the middle of the night, she got sick, but not all over herself and her bed like most children.  She climbed out of her crib, made her way to the bathroom in the dark, and threw up in the toilet.  I heard her and got out of bed, and both times I found her kneeling on the floor in front of the potty!  What three year old does that?!? Later I told David, I think it's because she knew if she got sick in her bed her lovey would get dirty and would have to be washed, and she was not about to lose lovey for the night, ha! Thankfully, the next day she was fine.  Thankfully, too, no one else seems to have fallen prey to the bug.  I'm hoping it's gone for good!
Saturday night, we headed over to one of our favorite places for supper.  
As much as we enjoy the food, the hightlight for the children is definitely feeding the ducks after our meal.  
Carter was feeling especially brave and got pretty close to the ducks.  
A tradition from my childhood that we have done with our children is to let them choose where we eat supper on their birthday.  Since we had plans on Carter's actual birthday, we allowed him to pick Sunday night where to eat.  He told me, "I don't think you're going to let me go where I want to choose."  I was thinking uh oh!  I remember one time when I was a kid, I chose to eat my birthday supper at Hardees of all places!  
Pretty sisters!
He chose Taco Bell!  So cute.  He was so excited.  Carter is obsessed with sour cream.  He loves it!  On everything.  I'm thinking that is why he chose Taco Bell.  I need to teach him about some other yummy places that serve sour cream, ha!
When we got home, I wanted to get a picture of the four of them together since it would be the last time they would be ages 3, 4, 5, & 6.  I love this shot!  They're all looking and smiling.  It may or may not be that Daddy bribed them with a cookie if they looked at the camera and smiled!

Summer asked if she could have her picture made with Carter by herself.  She loves him up!
Sunday night before bed, Tilly entertained us with a ribbon dance performed to a song from the Princess Sofia soundtrack.  Too cute!
Monday was spent celebrating our birthday boy all day long! Such a great weekend full of so many great memories.  

No comments: