Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Our Story, her story.

There seemed to be so much to say about Story's birthday, and I just have not taken the time sit down and write down my thoughts about this special day. My last doctor's appointment was Monday, May 3. We got our official hospital orders, so we were ready to go. My instructions were to call the hospital on Sunday night. Life continued as normal for O'Dell party of five. I worked up until the Friday before she was born, and long about Wednesday I wondered if I was going to make it all week. However, "we" made it! David's parents arrived on Friday to help take care of Carter, Summer, and Tilly. We enjoyed our weekend together, and Sunday night I called Northside Hospital to find out when they would like for us to check in. The sweet nurse said, "We will see you at 5:00." To which I promptly replied, "In the morning!" So, David and I set the alarm for 3:30, so we could shower and prepare to meet Story. Long about 4:15 we were on 285 headed to Northside Hospital. We checked in and were shown to our room right away, A6. I think we have been in the A quad for all four of our babies. By the time we got all of our paperwork done and all the labor readiness (I will call it for the sake of getting too personal on the blog!), we were ready to go. Side note, I was embarrassed to tell the nurses taking care of me that it was our fourth baby because I cried like a school girl during both the IV and the epidural, like a school girl! Pitocin started about 7:30, and I got the epidural about 9:30. About 11:00 Christine checked our progress, and we thought we had a ways to go. However, a little before 12:00 I felt a whole lot of pressure. My nurse checked my progress again, and it was GAME TIME! We were shocked by how fast labor progressed. Christine (the same midwife who delivered all of our other children) was quickly found, got ready, waited on the first contraction, and Story was here. She was born at 12:12 P.M. She weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces, and 19 3/4 inches long. It was amazing, but the best part came next. All of my deliveries have been special and awesome. As soon as Story was born, yes, there was no bath or swaddling or cleaning up, as soon as she was born, they handed her to me for that first skin to skin contact. This was not done with my other deliveries. It was one of the most incredible moments in my life. She tee-teed all over me, and then I just held her for like 30 minutes. She never cried or whimpered. She just lay her head on my chest, and I held our sweet baby girl. What a perfect moment in time that I will never forget. Then, the nurses took her and cleaned her up; we were taken to our room; she was taken up to the nursery for some blood work; we were all reunited, and we lived happily ever after! Happy birthday, Story! Mommy and Daddy are so thankful you are here, as are Carter, Summer, and Tilly. We could not love you more if we tried.
Our room for the day, A6.
Story just out of the womb.
Here she is with me for the first time, such a sweet sweet moment.
Our rock star midwife, Chrstine! She has delivered all four our of babies!
Story with Daddy for the first time. He was such a great support and encouragement to me during labor. He never once told me to quit my crying or to get it together; he just let me cry! I love delivering babies with him. It is such a special time for just the two of us!
Story getting all cleaned up.
Story's first bath at the hospital.
All dressed up and ready to go!
Swaddled up and ready to be handed off to. . .
Mommy!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ohh, I love it! What a great "story"! I can't wait to hold her again. She is so beautiful! I am so thankful to call you all friends.

Garretts said...

Loved reading your Story's birth story. The pic of her on your chest is priceless as is the one of David smiling at her so big and sweet. Isn't it neat to see daddy's with their babies?

Of the whole pregnancy and newborn stuff, which I've only done twice giving birth is my favorite part. Of course the IVs and stuff aren't fun and it isn't painless, but it is a miraculous thing to be a part of. Congrats again!

Lyryn said...

This makes me want mine all the more! Oh my! :)