Monday, October 25, 2010

Don't you love it when. . .

You find things that remind you of a sweet season in your life?
David called me on his way home from work the other day and said, "I have a surprise for you!" I love surprises, so I couldn't wait until he got home. He handed me what looked like a CD and told me that I would have to upload it to find out what it was. My mind was racing. I thought it might be a photography program for the computer, a CD with all of "our" songs, or a new exercise DVD, but it was far far better than any of these! On the CD were pictures, LOTS of pictures from our very first summer to work FUGE as a married couple. We met at MFUGE during the summer of 2000, when I was on staff, and David brought his youth group from Arkansas, to Charleston for the week, so it was incredibly special to serve on a team together several years later. That summer was pivotal in our lives for so many reasons. We had just left Marmaduke, Arkansas, where David had been the youth pastor for 3 years. We had only been married for two years, so we were still somewhat newlyweds. We were searching for something, and at the time did not know what. God revealed Himself to us in mighty ways that summer. He does that from time to time, doesn't He? It was in the middle of this summer that God called us to move to New Orleans, Louisiana, for David to attend seminary. WHAT? That's exactly what our response was at the time, but He spoke to us so clearly, so lovingly, and so gently, like a Daddy with a newborn baby, that we had no choice but to obey. We all know how miserable life can be when we disobey God anyway! So, you can imagine what a flood of memories exploded in my heart and mind as I poured over the pictures David brought home to me. So many of the people in these pictures are still very dear to me, and I think of them often. Some of them we spent lots of time with once we moved to New Orleans and even lived with for a time. Another one we named our third child for because she prayed with me through this season of faith jumping. Others we hear about on facebook or their blogs or even meet up with as time allows. All of them hold a special place in our hearts because they were all a part of such a pivotal, life-changing season in our lives, and we love them dearly for it. All of them prayed with us through our decision to hang it all in the wind and move to New Orleans. So, this post is for me. I am taking a trip down memory lane. Remembering that special summer of 2003, spent in Nashville, Tennessee. Remembering super fun times with friends who were just like family. Remembering a time in my life where God spoke to me so very clearly and revealed Himself to me in such a powerful way. We need to remember those times when the enemy seeks to steal and plant seeds of doubt. I am forever grateful for that summer, for the people God placed in our lives forever, for Him calling us to take a leap of faith like never before, and for how that summer forever changed our lives, our marriage, me. These were my games and rec boys for the summer! What fun times we had!
We spent lots of time eating yummy food in Nashville.
This was an adorable restaurant in downtown Franklin. How young do we look?
Love these friends!
Photo shoot in downtown Nashville.
Love this picture. How H.O.T. is my husband?
We spent lots of time at this place right across the street from Belmont.
We spent even more time at this place. It is by far one of my most favorite places to eat to this day, not so much for the food, but for the fun memories with amazing people.

No comments: