Friday, October 15, 2010

Sweet potatoes.

Story has been eating rice cereal for a little over a week now, and boy is she loving it. The very first time David fed her, she kept reaching for his hands trying to put the spoon in her mouth. She could not get it fast enough. It was then that we knew we would quickly need to give this little one some more to eat. Since Carter was a baby, we have been making our own baby food. Those who know me well know that I am a huge fan of this book: In BabyWise II, the authors discuss how to introduce your child to food, what to feed when, and making homemade baby food. For some reason this became something that I really wanted to do. Those of you who don't know me well may or may not know that I am not the most domestic wife and mommy on the block. In fact, David teases me about trying to get out of as many domestic duties as I possibly can. However, David, being the supportive spouse that he is, jumped on board and bought me this book:
And we're still using it four babies later, and hopefully lots of dollars saved. In BabyWise II, it talks about introducing your child to vegetables first, orange and yellow ones. Most likely, your children and mine will enjoy fruit, so we don't introduce that until much later once we have introduced all vegetables. It makes sense to me! Plus, I am a rule follower, so whatever the book tells me to do, I'm most likely going to do it. We start with sweet potatoes, and then move onto summer squash and carrots. Once we have introduced the yellow/orange vegetables, we move onto the green ones, which can be a little harder on their tummies.
There are many ways to prepare sweet potatoes, and I have tried them several different ways. The easiest way that I have found to prepare them is to peel them first. Some books suggest baking them, and that works, but it seems to be a longer process. We are all about saving time in our home.
I don't slice the potatoes, but just boil them whole. It might be faster to slice them first, but honestly, they are kind of hard to slice. Or maybe I just need a better knife, ha!
I think this past weekend, I boiled them for 30-45 minutes. I just kept checking them with a fork to see if they were tender and cut easily.
Once they are done, I cut them and pureed them in the food processor.
I filled up four trays with food for freezing to use at a later time, and I placed the rest in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator to use this week. Story ate them for the first time today with Miss Jeanne, and word on the street is that she was crazy about them!

No comments: